Facebook Twitter Pinterest
About UsPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, September 28, 2012

Bread Stick Sticks

Everyone loves bread.... and when you make it into sticks it's even better right? So how much do you love when your bread stick is well on a stick?

 I have to admit this isn't an idea I pulled out of my head, all by myself. There's a pizza shop in Utah called "The Pizza Factory" who serves these... and honestly probably fed me throughout my last two years of college in Cedar City. I had to create my own version of these... and I think it was a success.

So one week when my FAVORITE niece came to help me with my girls, we made these for dinner. I thought it would be more fun for the kids, and maybe Nola would sit still long enough to actually eat one. The first batch I made with whole wheat flour. They were good. Then for a family party I was asked to bring rolls, but I thought these would be a lot more fun! I mad those with just white flour... delicious was the reaction I received.

1 Tbsp Yeast
2Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 C. Warm Water
1 Tbsp Oil
1 tsp Salt
3 1/2 C. Flour
1/2 C. Melted Butter (you'll need some for now, and some later)

Garlic Bread Seasoning:
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese

8-12 Skewers (depending on how thick and long you make the bread stick)

Start by mixing the yeast, sugar and water together and let sit until it foams. (2-3 mins)
Mix in oil, salt, and flour and knead for 5 mins or until dough combines.
Remove dough from bowl, coat with oil, and return dough to bowl. Cover and let rise until double. (about 1 hour)
Divide dough and roll into 14-16 inch snake.
Soak the skewer in water, then wrap the dough around, leaving about a quarter of an inch at the top, and half of an inch at the bottom.
* you can do this next step however fits your fancy* I hung the skewer on a 9x13 cake pan and let double again. (the dough seems to droop, so you could probably just use a cookie sheet if you want to.)
Brush the dough with 1/2 of the melted butter. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Mix the garlic bread seasoning with the remaining melted butter, brush onto the hot bread stick... sticks and enjoy!






If you wonder how I keep my toddler busy while I'm cooking.... this is  not how it usually is. But I was lucky this day.

1 comment:

  1. Shut.Up. my boyfriend looooooves these! Lady, you're a genius, nuff said.

    ReplyDelete